We produce energy to meet the three main type of social needs:
- Mechanical work (electrical power)
- Heating supply
- Heat removal cooling systems)
It's goot to know that energy does not disappear, it merely changes form. To receive different forms of energy we use different energy sources and technologies. The different form of energy have different qualities and degrees of usefulness.
When we speak about energy consumption is important to understand and differentiate energy consumption by type of energy, by type of energy sources, by form of energy and by energy consumers.
About 80 percent of world residential energy use is consumed in single family homes. About 15 percent is consumed in multi-family dwellings such as apartments, and about 5 percent is consumed in mobile homes.
More than half of the heat energy in single-family homes is produced by natural gas, about one-fourth is from electricity, and one-tenth isfrom fuel oil energy source.
energy use at home and building
Most of the energy consumption in houses and administrative building is for heating and cooling. The second hudge consumers of energy are light bulbs and electricity devices (fan, refrigerators, oven and etc.). house ensureIs your house energy efficiency? Is it well isolated? Do you consume lots of energy for heating, electricity and cooling?
Your house lose energy everyday through the shell of the building if it's not energy efficiency.
The most energy loses are as follow:
- up to 35% energy loses through the walls
- up to 25% energy loses through the roof
- up to 15 % energy loses through the doors
- up to 10 % energy loses through the windows
- up to 15% energy loses through the floor
You can reduce it if you use thermal insolation and use energy efficiency materials and joinery.
Thermal insolation will reduce the energy loses and will reduce the energy you need for heating your hous during the winter time. The isnolation will help you and during the summer time - it will help you to use less energy for cooling.
You can help your family to save money on energy bills and reduce the greenhouse gas emissions by replacing standard globes and halogen downlights with energy efficient bulbs.
To learn about it how the energy effiiency lighting bulbs can reduce your bill see our lighting calculator.
You can find some usefill tips and ideas how to reduse your energy consumption at home in the energy efficiency section.
energy use at industry
There are many different uses and a variety of different energy sources in the manufacturing/industry sector.
One main use is as boiler fuel, which means producing heat that is transferred to the boiler vessel to generate steam or hot water.
Another use is as process heating, which is when energy is used directly to raise the temperature of products in the manufacturing process.
industry energy use
Predominant energy sources are: natural gas and electricity (a secondary source), as well as other energy sources for heat, power, and electricity generation.
The chemical industry is the largest industrial consumer of energy, followed closely by petroleum refining.
You can find some usefill tips, ideas and curious facts concerning the energy use in idustry in the energy efficiency section.
energy use at transport
Human activities are closely dependent on the usage of several forms and sources of energy to perform work. Energy is the potential that allows movement and/or the modification of matter (e.g. making steel by combining iron and carbon).
The relationship between transport and energy is a direct one.
The impacts of transport on energy consumption are:
- Vehicle manufacture, maintenance and disposal. The energy spent for manufacturing and recycling vehicles depends of vehicle type, material used, size and vehicle life cycle.
- Vehicle operation. Most of the energy is used to provide power to vehicles (the fuels for example). The fuel market for transportation is hudge.
- Infrastructure construction and maintenance. This section inclues building of roads, railways, bridges, tunnels, terminals, ports and airports. Provisionig of lighting and signaling equipment. All these activities are significant energy consumers.
60 to 70% of energy consumption from transportation activities is because of the passenger transportation.
The most energy efficient transport is freight transportation (by rail and maritime shipping).
- Biogas (as ethanol, methanol) and biodiesel can be produced from the fermentation of food crops (sugar cane, corn, cereals, etc) or wood-waste. Their production however requires large harvesting areas.It's estimated that one hectare of wheat produces less than 1,000 liters of transportation fuel per year. The choice of production and utilization of biomass fuel depends on the sustainability and energy efficiency of the production process.
- Hydrogen is the energy source of the future. Hydrogen is producing by electrolysis of water or by extracting it from hydrocarbons. A lot of energy (mostly electricity) is wasted in the production, transfer and storage of hydrogen.
- Electricity is recognised as an alternative energy source to petroleum fuels. Eelectric vehicle is considered a more efficient alternative to hydrogen fuel vehicle because there is no need to convert energy into electricity. Besides an all electric car is easier and cheaper to produce than a comparable fuel-cell vehicle. The still low energy capacity of batteries makes the electric car less competitive than traditional cars.
- Hybrid vehicles provides opportunities combining the efficiency of electricity motor with the long driving range of an internal combustion engine. A hybrid vehicle still uses liquid fuel as the main source. Alternative source is provided by the electricity generated by the battery.
You can find some usefill tips, ideas and curious facts concerning the energy use in transport in the energy efficiency section.